View Single Post
Old 05-13-2024, 06:54 AM   #24
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Spent about 24 hours in Atlanta over the weekend to hang out with a couple of HS friends and see Judas Priest. Great time. Was great to see the Priest for the first time in over 30 years. Halford can still bring it.

Opener was Sabaton, a band I knew about but had never heard. Their gimmick is military-themed power metal. While they were entertaining enough and put on a good show, I'm not much of a fan of power metal and song after song about battles and wars and whatever got old quick. It was like they looked at Iron Maiden's catalog and said, "Nope, not enough military history."

It also ignited a bit of a discussion about backing tracks, because this band was clearly using them. The backing vocals were full and pristine and clearly not being sung by the band live. And at one point, they did some song about poison gas and the entire band came out wearing gas masks - including the lead singer, who proceeded to "sing" through his mask for the entire song. That lead us to question what other lead vocal parts might not have been live, although I'm pretty sure he was doing it live. Didn't necessarily ruin the performance, and I get for a band that heavily relies on layered backing vocals during recording, you want to reproduce that sound live as best you can. But this seemed a bit more performative in that they weren't just supporting the vocals - they were the vocals.

Anyway, great weekend and a perfect night on Saturday night for an outdoor show even if getting from PTC to Alpharetta was a shitshow.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote