View Single Post
Old 05-09-2024, 02:21 PM   #567
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Generally -

Ozempic(semaglutide) is for diabetics and it’s often covered by their insurance so unless you actually need that specifically, it should be left alone for them. Wegovy is the same active ingredient prescribed for weight loss. Often times drug coverages don’t work for weight loss so you’re paying 100% out of pocket or getting a manufacturer’s coupon.

Mounjaro(Tirzepatide)is a completely different drug but is similar to Ozempic whereas it might be covered by insurance for diabetics. The weight loss version , Zepbound is reportedly more effective for weight loss than Ozempic/Wegovy.

Zepbound is in short supply right now but a manufacturer coupon takes it down to $550 a month.

There aren’t generics for any of these drugs but you can find them compounded online through a variety of quasi legal sources. I couldn’t get the second dose of Zepbound (5.0mg) from my pharmacy so I had to alternative source Tirzepatide from Reddit. I’d much prefer the name brand as it’s packaged in auto injector pens. Hopefully supply levels come back soon.

If your doctor won’t write you a script for Zepbound or Wegovy, especially if you have an elevated BMI, find a new doctor.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote