View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Winston leads the kickoff team onto the field and boots the ball through the endzone for a touchback.

I'm ushered to a phone that's linked to our coaches in the press box who tell me I'm facing a lot of different 8 man fronts and what appears to be quite a bit of zone coverage.

There's not much time for than that as Cal 48 seconds off the clock in going three and out. Cal netted 1 yard in their first drive.

Our returner, cornerback Bart Serra makes a fair catch at the UT40, and I'm going back onto the field with 9:13 left in the first quarter.

On first down, we run our first counter play with Brewster, and we picked up 5 yards on the right side.

The next play is an option to the right side and I quickly get rid of the ball as the DE comes crashing down on me. It left Brewster room to run though and he gained 11 on the play.

1st and 10 on the Cal 44 and we run a play action pass. Most of our routes are fairly short, because I'm more accurate with short stuff than anything else. Everett catches the ball at the 40 and turns upfield for 6 more before getting tackled at the 34.

We try and trap the DT this time on the right side and it didn't work. Brewster has to dust himself off after getting leveled for a 2 yard loss. The long yardage situation leads us to another play action pass. I fake the ball to Prescott and quickly lob it over to Brewster who's in the right flat at the 33. J. B. takes it to the 24 before getting tackled.

Another 1st down, and the call from Coach Fulmer is pretty surprising: Bootleg to the left side. RG Washington pulled in front of me and made an excellent block and I'm finally tackled 10 yards down the field. To think people thought Casey Clausen and Peyton Manning were slow.

We're in the Orange Zone again, and Coach Fulmer shows he's willing to be a little daring again. He calls for the team to shift out of the Power I and into a no back look, to isolate J.B. on someone slow on the inside.

It works like a charm. Cal freaked out when we shifted and I went into the shotgun. Players pointing here and there and I bet half the defense was flat footed when I took the snap and lobbed it to the endzone. J.B. ran underneath it and caught my first career touchdown pass.

This time, I go to the endzone to celebrate with my teammates. I could never have envisioned my season starting like this. Wow.

Alston adds the extra point and Rocky Top never sounded any sweeter.

14-0 Vols, with 5:28 left in the 1st QTR