View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 02:25 PM   #26741
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Any 911 operators on the board? Is there a documentary about the training that 911 operators get? I have been watching a number of documentaries recently that shows call to 911 operators and the operators just seem daft and callous. I know the job is extremely tough and I think it would be different to see things from the operator's POV. The latest example is from a re-watch of the OJ doc. Nicole call 911 because OJ is breaking in to beat the shit out of her and the operator is asking if he is the sportscaster and telling her to stay on the line.

I'm not one but I've both dated one (eons ago) and my niece is currently in her 5th (?) year as one.

I'll try to remember to ask her if there's something that presents a better light than some of the stuff that's out there.

As for the OJ thing, stay on the line is pretty standard procedure in most circumstances. It allows for the operator to provide the most current information to responders up to the moment they arrive.

And the "sportscaster" thing seemed like a case of trying to verify that, well, that the operator heard what they thought they heard. Insert any celebrity name there and you're going to have a moment of doubt whether you heard what you thought you heard. If it had been John Cena, saying "you mean the wrestler?" would have been the same thing.