View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 11:49 AM   #81
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Pirates walk it off on a throwing error | 04/07/2024 | MLB.com

I’m not sure I can ever recall a game ending like this, but I’m sure it’s common. Anyways, the Pirates had the bases loaded with one out in the ninth. The hitter comes up and hits it pretty much straight up the middle, should be the end of the game. Henderson makes a wild dive at it, snags it, tap with his hand, and throws the first, wildly, ending the game.

Just a crazy play with everything on the line.

The Pirates have won 2 extra inning games in a row and 3 already this season, which matches their entire total from last season.

The (no longer) new extra inning rule, with the runner starting on second, is still so strange to me. I'm not sure if I like it better or not. With pitchers dropping like flies, it seems like a no brainer to try to shorten the games to reduce injuries, but there was always something really cool about seeing a marginal reliever occasionally pitch like 5 or 6 scoreless innings or the option that, after the 15th inning or so, you might see a position player come in to pitch or starting pitchers come in. Or seeing pitchers get to pinch hit. Now, it feels like a run is more likely to come in each half inning than not.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote