View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 05:01 AM   #9640
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
An insane statement. Please read some books man. Hitler killed tens of millions of people in a relatively short span of time. He focused extensively on innocent civilians.
Fine, I don't disagree on the death counts. Call it 3/10 or 4/10 then, using an exponential scale.

Quote:
Yes, I would have supported lend-lease back then. Nazi Germany was a unique threat to the United States and the world. Something that Russia is not.
Quote:
And yes, I believe the United States should have restricted oil to Japan. I think sanctions like that are incredibly powerful. It would have been nice if we could have sanctioned Russia tougher.
Why was Nazi Germany (and Japan) a unique threat to the US pre-Pearl Harbor? Let's get into specifics. There was no way they were going to cross the Atlantic/Pacific ocean to attack us. Hitler were attacking our "allies" back then, Japan was attacking countries western forces had bases in but not US.

So the question is - you see differences in scale of deaths, the US did not know about concentration camps pre-war (or at least not the extent). You support the US intervention then because of "unique threat". Define it in the context of pre-1941 Pearl Harbor.

Quote:
Both scenarios completely different from today and the current standing of our allies in Europe.
In the context of pre-1941 Pearl Harbor, sure there are differences, but the thrust of it was Hitler was an obvious threat to western countries. And Japan didn't threaten US directly.

Quote:
Yeah, the big picture is that most of the advanced world lives 5-10 years longer than us. Truly embarrassing stuff.
The point is putting everything in context as best as possible. Comparing US to Sri Lanka or Algeria with one data point is pretty meaningless. All countries have faults, its whether the pros/cons for X outweigh the pros/cons for Y.

And I'll ask for the third time

Quote:
Question - what country passes the RM litmus test?
What is your ideal country, with minimal faults, high longevity, good healthcare etc. the Shangri-La that you would immigrate to? Name one and give me a chance to review/critique your choice as you've done with the US.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-20-2024 at 05:10 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote