View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 10:44 PM   #9638
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
I pay my tax dollars to the United States and feel that's where it should be used. Lord knows we could use it.

I think we have a moral obligation to spend a lot more in foreign aid than we are doing. Best case is that it shouldn't be for wars like in Ukraine, but focusing more inward is the worst thing we could do IMO given the fact that that most people in the world are far worse off.

I already said my piece on isolationism, but as a more general point we've decades past the time when it was possible even if we wanted it to be. Globalization, the world has gotten smaller in practical terms, call it whatever you want but everything a major developed nation does affects every other such nation substantially. Climate change is among the more obvious examples of this, trade in many resources is another, space exploration and development a third ...

There was a time when the oceans mostly protected the United States from the consequences of things happening elsewhere in the world. That time has been over at least since most of us were very young if not even born yet, and arguably much earlier than that.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote