View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #30
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The first call was simple enough, but Coach Fulmer did a play change from what we discussed earlier. The first play was supposed to be "Power I right, split left, 21", with Brewster running up the middle.

Why he changed the play to an option, I don't know.

Once I got to the line, I found out.

Turns out Cal had figured we'd be running the ball a lot and showed us an eight man front.

I take the snap and run left. The line has blocked down, but there are still two players left on Cal's team left unblocked. I pitch off to Brewster, who strings the ball down the sideline and picks up 2 yards in the process.

I can't even hear myself think. The noise of the stadium is deafening. Rocky Top is thundering down on me from the band. All 104,100 fans must be screaming at the top of their lungs right now.

Everett runs out and Castleberry comes in with the new play. "Power I left, split right, 23, on 3, on 3, everyone, we're going to try and get them to jump early, ok? Break!"

We get to the line, and the defense hasn't changed, but the safety appears to be coming up to the line.

"Set, Hut!..."

I don't even get to the second hut before a defensive tackle grabs me and nearly throws me to the ground. Fortunately, he doesn't, and we're given a free five yards.

J.B. reminds me that won't work all game.

2nd and 3 now, and the call is for a play action pass. Everett will be the only option, and he's running deep.

I take the snap, and fake right and roll left, but Everett is double covered. What's worse is I didn't fool the OLB for long. I head up field and take what I can get...which turns out to be only a yard.

Prescott comes over to help me with my jersey; the left side is pulled down past my shoulder pad.

"Huddle's this way" he jokes and pats me on the back. I look to the sideline and get the next play. I head to the huddle and break the team quickly.

Brewster takes my handoff through the hole created by the center Peters and gets 11 yards before being hauled down. Our "first" first down of the game, and it keeps the offense on the field.

1st-10 at the Cal 49, and we give the ball to Brewster twice more up the middle and off right guard. He gains 6 on the first play, and 11 on the second for our "second" first down. This takes us to the Cal 32 yard line.

Coach Fulmer now calls for a screen pass, which works as I dump the ball off to the FB Prescott for an 18 yard gain. We go right back to the pass with a play action aimed for Prescott again. Prescott doesn't drop the ball and rumbles ahead for 7 yards after the catch to the 3 yard line before being spilled.

First and goal at the 3 and Brewster gets the ball and goes off right tackle for 2. 1 yard and I can nearly reach the orange and white checkerboard endzone from here.

Washington, the new guy on the O line, attacks his man a little early and we're sent back to the 6.

Coach Fulmer sends Everett in with the play and Everett is smiling.

"Power I right, split right, reverse option on 2"

The play works perfectly, and Everett takes the pitch intended for Brewster along the left sideline and into the endzone.

The poor corner to that side was spilled by our left tackle, Sammie Lochner.

6-0 UT, and I'm so happy I can hardly breathe. The offense heads to the sideline and I receive perhaps a thousand atta boys as the kicking team puts the extra point on the board with 10:01 left on the clock.