View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It's good to see that the pollsters and such haven't decided to fault my team for their quarterback. We're ranked #5 in the nation at the moment. Cal isn't given the same love; they're ranked #72 overal.

Of course, they don't have Brewster, either.

Team captains J.B. Brewster, safety Melvin Briggs, and kicker Ray Alston return from the coin toss; we won and we'll receive. Apparently, they don't want the defense to win our championship. You'd think we'd start out by kicking off.

I secretly have hoped I would never have to enter the field today. That the defense and special teams would be out there all day. Converting every opportunity into scores and thereby saving me from entering the field.

When Aaron Moser is tackled at the UT32, I realize that dream is over. Coach and the offensive starters gather around. Coach yells in my ear the play. I turn and look back. Coach Fulmer's reaction is plain.

I turn to the huddle of players around me.

"Power I right, split left, option left, on one"

The team heads out onto the field. I walk a few steps, then realize I'm falling behind and then jog out into position. I can't believe I'm really doing this.