View Single Post
Old 03-07-2024, 08:34 PM   #60
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Here's my 1976 coaches file.

Dropbox - 1976_coaches.csv - Simplify your life

This should have pretty much all the correct head coaches and coordinators. The only exception I could think of is that the Lions DC, Jim Carr, didn't have a wikipedia page, and since I couldn't find his birth date, city, or college immediately, I put Jerry Glanville there instead. That gave me room to put Joe Bugel in as an assistant coach. It did NOT leave me room for Bill Belichick, who was a special teams coach. I included him in the game, but as unemployed. He's by far the youngest coach in the file, at 24 years old.

Some other "exceptions" where that a lot of teams didn't have coordinators, just position coaches. In that case, I chose the coach who would soonest become a head coach or a "real" coordinator, and put him there.

If there were more assistants than I could fit that would become head coaches in the future, I took the one that would become a head coach furthest off, and put him in the game as unemployed. For example, Dallas had Tom Landry as HC, Jim Myers as OC, Ernie Stautner as DC, and Dan Reeves and Mike Ditka as assistant coaches. After adding in the HC, OC, and DC, I only had room for one assistant, so I put Reeves in that position, since he would become a head coach before Mike Ditka would. But Ditka is in as unemployed. I *think* I added an occasional assistant in the game as unemployed if he was destined to become a coordinator, but not sure.

Next, I added any coaches who would become a HC by 1985 -- most of these guys were coaching in college in 1976.

That only gets 20-25 unemployed coaches, so the game is filling a lot of people on its own. Not sure what to do about that. I'm worried about adding coaches that will become a HC in the late 80s or 90s, because I'm not sure we want a situation where they become coaches like way earlier than they should. Maybe seeing what happens to Belichick will be a good test for that -- the youngest coach that the game generates is 32, and I don't know if the fact that he's 8 years younger will make him not as good yet, or will mean that when he's 32, he's had 8 years to develop. I could add coaches that will become an OC or DC by 1985, but I'm not sure if that's all that interesting to anyone.

If anyone sees issues with the file or ways to improve it, let me know. The playstyles were mostly the result of chatting with GPT, so they're very quick and dirty. Maybe it'd be better to have more Smashmouth coaches based on the era, and how it seems when looking at it from present day, but I don't think that's accounted for at this time. I do think there's only like 1-2 spread coaches, so that should reflect the era pretty well.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 03-07-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote