View Single Post
Old 03-04-2024, 05:38 AM   #363
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Oh okay, then I am changing my answer. If we get a comprehensive reform bill that has my requirements, then sure 0% acceptance level for future illegals. If we continue in the status quo, well then let's keep the status quo.
Okay. Just like I accepted the below answer in my discussion with thesloppy.
Quote:
Okay. No metrics, not an issue until it's an issue.
Quote:
In this situation, I see inaction as a choice. Both parties and especially the businesses that hire undocumented workers can always make different choices.
We'll agree to disagree here. I'll stand by my "defaulted to" vs "made choice".

Quote:
What are the commonalities among the 11M when compared to a big-big group of Israelis, Ukrainians, or Taiwanese?
Little confused by this question. I don't care what the specific commonalities are, I care there definitely are commonalities because they are a very large group of people that share same/similar culture, beliefs etc.

I am generally pro-Israel. But if 9M Israeli's, majority of them with negative feelings towards Muslims (totally understandable there are negative feels in both directions), immigrated to the US, I would be very concerned.

Quote:
If Pew's information is correct outside of the Mexicans, the 11M comes from:
:

According to USCIS naturalization numbers for FY2023, here are the top ten countries of birth for people naturalizing in FY 2023,
:

Let's look at breakdown nos. vs just list of countries. For illegals in 2021, Pew report (see graphic about midway) says ...

What we know about unauthorized immigrants living in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Latin America = 7,600 / 10,500 = 72.3%
Asia = 1,650 = 15.7%
Rest of World = 1,240 = 11.8%

For legals, there are plenty of articles out there that talks about migrants nos. but don't split out legal vs illegal. So let me know if you find different or more recent nos, but wiki with 2016 nos. says for legals

Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia
(see table Origins of the U.S. immigrant population, 1960–2016).

Mexico & Latin America = 50%
Asia = 28%
Europe-Canada = 13%

(Looks like the Asians are losing out here).

Quote:
Both seem like pretty diverse bunches to me though I would probably give the undocumented group the slight edge in being less homogeneous. I don't see why the folks in the first group would be better at tipping the scales one way or another compared to the second group.
A delta of 72.3% - 50% = 22.3%. Much more than necessary to tip any election.

Quote:
I lean closer to disagree only because I have never really seen what the economic benefits of a total legal immigration + increased guest workers system look like.

This is fair, we'll agree to disagree. There are no studies that I could find, but I can't honestly think of anything that won't be captured with increased legal + guest worker type program.

Quote:
That does not mean I think we should keep the current system. I'm all for comprehensive immigration reform. I reject any attempt to ban certain nationalities and/or limit other nationalities' attempts to immigrate to the country in order too bring in a preferred nationality
We have laws and quotas (based on country of origin, types of visa etc.) on the books. And I'm pretty sure any comprehensive immigration reform will continue them. I'm okay with the concept of limits but may not agree to the eligibility criteria or proportions

Quote:
Sidenote: Interesting fact that I saw after you mentioned Ukraine and then seeing the former USSR on the list. 3201 filings in immigration courts by people from Ukraine since 2022. 67,904 filings in the same courts by people from Russia.
I read recently there are more Ukrainians not willing to enter military service now, which implies greater number wanting to leave. I wouldn't be surprised if that Ukrainian no. increases substantially.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-04-2024 at 05:56 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote