View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 01:41 PM   #86
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
even Fat John 'One-Ball' Kruk?

Ask the guys that were in the minors with Kruk why he advanced to a nice MLB career while their healthy hard bodies never made it?

Some other fat players that come to mind..
Babe Ruth, CC Sabathia, Tony Gwynn,

Did you ever watch "Pros vs. Joes" where some pretty good amateurs challenged pro athletes? Most, or maybe all(?), of the pros were retired old second tier players, ie not former all stars. Some of the challengers were very good "every day" athletes that probably dominated whatever local ball they played. Some of the old pros toyed with them while beating them soundly. Others destroyed them from the get go with no mercy.

I googled but can't find it, but I remember reading a guys account of going to
a fantasy camp where Vida Blue was on the former MLBers team. First guy up laced a double to the gap and was celebrating loudly while standing on second base. I don't recall how long Blue pitched but he struck out every batter after that hit. IIRC He was pushing 60 years of age.

These guys, even the ones that are bottom of the league, get to where they are because they are different. Sure some born with the ability don't work to take advantage of it, but those that do? We mortals can't touch 'em.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote