View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #12
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Summer, 2007

It's amazing how things can change in just a year, Last year at this time I was a redshirt junior; a walk on who's claim to fame was that he was captain of the offensive scrub team. I wasn't on anyone's depth chart. No reporters or fans asked about me. In fact, you would have had to be a die hard Vols fan to even know I existed. I wasn't even listed under the alpha or numerical rosters.

In case you're wondering, I wore #15.

Actually, I was the "fourth string" quarterback, but depth charts never go that deep. Fourth string players hate the old saying, "Three deep depth chart". Not that UT even used three quarterbacks on the season. That's why Malcolm Rivers transferred.

I did some checking on teams throughout the country. Only five teams in Division I football used four quarterbacks. UT hadn't used four in a season since Casey Clausen was a freshman.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in this for the glory. I don't fancy myself as a bonafide college quarterback. I never thought I'd lead UT onto the field at Neyland. I didn't come to UT for that. I came for the experience and to watch and learn from what I believe is the best college coaching staff around.

I've only got an average arm for a high school quarterback, and I fielded exactly 0 offers from schools of any sort. I'm not even all that fast. I'm just honestly not that great of a football player. I'm ok with that; I'm here because I eventually want to coach.