View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 07:28 AM   #234
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
There's a report about how there were embedded journalists with Hamas as they crossed the border and went on their mayhem. The bottom of the article has the response from CNN, AP and Reuters which implies there is some truth to this.

Journalists with Hamas terrorists: Watchdog questions international media's presence

I'm sure journalists should not knowingly go into a situation where they will be filming murders & kidnapping of innocent civilians. But in this situation, I think its legit for them to go in with Hamas just like a US reporter embedded with Marines in Fallujah. They knew there would be fighting but not the war crimes.

The question then is: what is the press' responsibility if they are in a situation where murders & killings start being committed? Should they have stopped filming and walked away, or continue to document and publicly say they were there and saw the war crimes, or try to stop it (suicidal?), or essentially do nothing but sell their pics.
Journalist have such a tight-rope to walk in these situations. Recording history is important, and you only get the chance to cover something like this if you don't betray whoever is allowing you to follow them. It is a legitimate question of "where is the line?" I think in this case they could probably fairly say by the time it became apparent the level of criminal acts that were occurring they would have put themselves in real danger to try to sound a warning. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't have made a difference. Alarms throughout the region were already going off. The Israeli military were caught with their pants down. They were just completely and shockingly unprepared.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote