View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #412
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
This one is going to take awhile to get over. I'm not sure I have ever been so stunned by a relatively meaningless game. Neal actually showed some emotion at the post game press conference, so that was interesting. If we don't win Homecoming over a very beatable Okla St, the hot seat is going to be back up to a 10 in a hurry.

I didn't like the hire from the beginning. I think he was hired mostly because he was the anti-dana. He was clean, organized, well spoken, and was big on team culture. However, I was willing to give him a chance.

He's still the same coach he was in the Sun Belt, nothing has really changed, and that's the problem. What wins in the Sun Belt doesn't necessarily work at the P5 level. Inefficient ball control, shorten the game, hope the other team makes mistakes, and then squeeze out a win just isn't a very good recipe for success in the Big 12.

The 4-1 start this year included a 3 touchdown loss to Penn State, a win over Duquesne, a win over Pitt and the worst P5 quarterback (who's now a TE) by a mile, and a win over Texas Tech and their backup QB. The TCU win was nice, but Sonny Dykes also just shit the bed for that game. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach look as clueless on the sidelines as he did and I've been watching 5 years of Neal Brown.

What it comes down to is Brown is an awful offensive coach, which as an air raid guy is one hell of an accomplishment. The way he wants to win goes against everything analytics have shown is a way to win on a consistent basis, while claiming to be an analytics guy.

Dana outcoached him last night, which was a massive gut punch. Watching Dana, with a far less talented team, figure out our weak spots as the game went on and continually attack them while Brown tried to get cute with tons of motion, etc was embarrassing. He was forced to open things up in the 2nd half or Houston was going to run away with it, but the lesson he probably got from that was to back to what he's comfortable with and just pound Donaldson and Greene up the middle until he's forced to do something else and then hope that works.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote