View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 06:20 AM   #15
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
But why? What is the conflict over this strip of land? Why can't the people just leave? Is it about the people or the land? Does the land hold some sort of religious significance that they both want? Or is it a racial thing?

It's all of the above. But also includes fair amounts of poor judgement by leadership; third parties doing war/conflict by proxy; making themselves unwelcome (see Jordanian Civil War); land being part of their ancestry and not just religious; ME countries not wanting to take in Palestinians and the financial/social impact etc.

Quote:
Okay I gotta ask...if this is a prison that no one can leave, then why are were there so many americans and other nationalities there?

How is anyone allowed in if no one is allowed to leave?

IS it the hotel California? is that it?

See below wsj link. Paywall so can't provide any details beyond the search results. My guess is they are dual citizens or aid workers, and was able to travel there. I'd guess there are a bunch of other nationalities there for same reason.

U.S. Estimates Up to 600 Americans in Gaza
Quote:
An estimated 500 to 600 U.S. citizens live in the Gaza Strip, and some are looking for safe passage out, including over the border into Egypt, a senior administration official said.

Sure people are allowed to leave Gaza pre-war. It's not Hotel California. But it is maybe a Motel 6 as it's very difficult, especially for those without resources. See below. From other articles, you generally have to get visas and that's difficult as you may have to travel to Israel or into Egypt (note below that Egypt also plays a role here). My guess is the more money you have the easier it is.

Gaza: Israel’s ‘Open-Air Prison’ at 15 | Human Rights Watch
Quote:
Israel’s closure policy blocks most Gaza residents from going to the West Bank, preventing professionals, artists, athletes, students, and others from pursuing opportunities within Palestine and from traveling abroad via Israel, restricting their rights to work and an education. Restrictive Egyptian policies at its Rafah crossing with Gaza, including unnecessary delays and mistreatment of travelers, have exacerbated the closure’s harm to human rights.

“Israel, with Egypt’s help, has turned Gaza into an open-air prison,” said Omar Shakir, Israel and Palestine director at Human Rights Watch. “As many people around the world are once again traveling two years after the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Gaza’s more than two million Palestinians remain under what amounts to a 15-year-old lockdown.”

Quote:
Did trump make it?

Nope but my guess is he got inspiration from it (or by watching "World War Z")

Quote:
I keep seeing news clips and notes of so and so country or so and so organization "standing with palestine". Can you separate Palestine from Hamas?
Are there civilian palestines?

I view Palestine as West Bank (controlled by Fatah) and Gaza Strip (controlled by the more extremist Hamas). So yeah, you can separate Palestinians from Hamas. Unfortunately, I do believe 99% of Palestinians have a hatred for Israelis but in differing degrees, scale & context. It's understandable that even Palestinians, who do not support Hamas, still have deep resentment against Israel.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-13-2023 at 06:45 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote