Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 08:48 PM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I do not know the real influence China has with Iran. I suspect its not to that level, or at least I've not read about it. FWIW, I know their arms sales to Iran has dropped off considerably since 00s so that's probably an indication.

Yup, I think this is true and they are definitely more neutral than the US, no doubt.

Their arms sales may be down but that is not the route China seems to be going down. China is Iran's top trading partner getting about 36% of Iran's total exports. China is two percent behind the U.S. (14 to 12) of the Saudi exports. China has been the biggest buyer of oil for both countries. There's more.

China Regional Snapshot: Middle East and North Africa - Committee on Foreign Affairs.

Now maybe China is doing this exclusively for capitalist reasons to make money for the Communist Party. Or maybe China thinks this investment will lead to long term goodwill and yes influence down the road. This has worked for a superpower nation or two in the past.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote