Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 06:29 AM   #195
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
re: Haiti

Glad UN & US could find a country that will (likely) accept the assignment. It's evident there isn't a lot of "will" here so I predict failure.

Article said the Kenyan police don't have a great reputation at home. I'm sure Kenya isn't doing without some $. Wonder what they are getting.

I wish Haiti had a lot of oil or rare earth metals. Whole different story then.

Finally approved after about a year. I'm sure there'll be some bad stuff as a result, but overall, a chance for a reboot. $200M sounds like a bargain.

UN Security Council approves sending a Kenya-led force to Haiti to fight violent gangs | AP News
Quote:
The U.N. Security Council voted Monday to send a multinational armed force led by Kenya to Haiti to help combat violent gangs, marking the first time in almost 20 years that a force would be deployed to the troubled Caribbean nation.
:
Kenyan Foreign Affairs Minister Alfred Mutua said last week that the force could deploy within two to three months, or possibly early January. He also noted that key officers are being taught French.
Quote:
The resolution authorizes the force to deploy for one year, with a review after nine months. The non-U.N. mission would be funded by voluntary contributions, with the U.S. pledging up to $200 million.

I wondered what Kenya gets out of this also. No idea what the "defence agreement" means. From aljazeera.com ...

Quote:
The United States and Kenya have signed a defence agreement that will see the East African nation get resources and support for security deployments as it has volunteered to lead an international mission to violence-plagued Haiti.

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Kenya’s Defence Minister Aden Duale signed the accord on Monday at a meeting in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, guiding the countries’ defence relations for the next five years.

“Signing the framework for defence cooperation between our two countries today reinforces the importance of our strategic partnership with Kenya,” Austin said following the meeting, according to a readout by the Pentagon.

The US defence chief underscored Kenya’s role in the fight against al-Shabab, an armed group affiliated with al-Qaeda that is active in East Africa.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-03-2023 at 06:30 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote