Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2023, 05:18 PM   #189
Edward64
Head Coach

Below deal makes sense. If I was SA I would want significant guarantees for making nice with Israel. Joe needs to somehow also get "stable oil prices for the next 10 years" in there.

Article also said this may help Joe's re-election chances. I honestly don't think it'll be enough to get people to change and vote for him. Trump also is due some credit for starting the process with the smaller ME countries. But I'm guessing Bibi gets wins easily next time.

US-Saudi defense pact tied to Israel deal, Palestinian... | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Saudi Arabia is seeking a defense pact requiring the US to defend the Islamic kingdom if it is attacked

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Joe Biden first discussed the potential agreement on the president's visit to the Gulf in July 2022

In return for the protection of America's military, Saudi would agree to softening relations with Israel - even if Jerusalem refuses to grant freedoms to Palestinians

The pact is likely to fall short of the NATO-style guarantee but could mirror similar arrangements with Bahrain - where the US Navy Fifth Fleet is based

Saudis will reach a peace deal with Israel, even without Palestine - The Jerusalem Post

Quote:
The Palestinians could get some Israeli restrictions eased but such moves would fall short of their aspirations for a state. As with other Arab-Israeli deals forged over the decades, the Palestinian core demand for statehood would take a back seat, the three regional sources familiar with the talks said.

"The normalization will be between Israel and Saudi Arabia. If the Palestinians oppose it the kingdom will continue in its path," said one of the regional sources. "Saudi Arabia supports a peace plan for the Palestinians, but this time it wanted something for Saudi Arabia, not just for the Palestinians."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote