Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2023, 07:00 AM   #177
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Geez, one separatist gets killed and India and Canada are at each other's throats.

Hardeep Singh Niijar: India suspends visas for Canadian nationals as diplomatic spat deepens | CNN

I was reading r/India and other reddit threads. Seems the quote below is causing a good introspective and many Indians are thinking "yeah, maybe we did do it" and the quoted ally is US intelligence. I'm not sure I'm ready to condemn the Modi/Indian government, I can easily see sub-organizations (?) doing things without Modi's express approval.

India is asking for evidence and this is reasonable. Trudeau is saying no (I assume because that would jeopardize intelligence sources & capabilities). In a situation like this, I personally think Trudeau/US needs to provide some details, some transcript naming names etc.

And apparently Joe knew about this at the G20 and spoke to Modi. Understandably, he didn't want it to blow up then. I read in a reddit post (not verified) that apparently Canadian press found out, told Trudeau they were going to publish the story. So that forced Trudeau's hand and he came out with the story.

Interesting situation, not sure how it plays out.

Canada's Trudeau wants India to cooperate in murder probe, declines to release evidence | Reuters
Quote:
The CBC report said, citing Canadian sources, that no Indian official, when pressed behind closed doors has denied the allegation that there is evidence suggesting Indian government involvement in Nijjar's death. India's Ministry of External Affairs did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment on the CBC report.

The report said the intelligence included communications involving Indian officials, among them Indian diplomats present in Canada, adding that some of the intelligence was provided by an unidentified ally in the Five Eyes alliance.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote