View Single Post
Old 09-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #122
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Once the games begin, I tend to forget whatever it is that might or might not have pushed me away.

Life keeps intervening. There's the rape case with the Alabama walk-on, Mel Tucker's expensive abusive behavior in East Lansing, for NBA fans the brutal beating of the sister of Dwayne Haskins' widow by that Rocket player.

That's this week's off-field news. It makes you think. But sports is an escape. It remains an escape, as long as the leagues draw some line somewhere. Or at least say they will.

Despite all the available entertainment out there, and TikTok's formula of never-ending video crack, I think people still crave appointment entertainment in some form. But the scripted sitcoms and dramas are too conveniently binged and there are no more water-cooler shows, like Seinfeld. Plus the Hollywood strike means no new stuff, not that many were watching what was there.

Sports fits. It has to be consumed live. And football has become our sport. So we'll consume it eagerly each fall (sorry, USFL and XFL, we just aren't connected to second-best, or spring football). College football isn't dying by any means, but when you look at the top television ratings for the year, most of it (entertainment, sports, everything) is NFL.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote