View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #6354
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
We leave it to the officer and his training, then revue the body camera footage and make a decision on how the officer acted. Kind of like what is happening now.

If they had let her drive off in her state of mind (not exactly rational and composed when one is willing to drive a vehicle at another human being whether a cop or not) and she ran over a child in the parking lot? The officer may well have been punished.

That was the reason for my questions. I think we all agree that the use of deadly force is an option. The question is whether with deadly force being the only option as Grantdawg's statement implied and if the officer chose not to use that option, should that officer face any consequences for not using deadly force.

Since we are speculating, let's say the officer had done what dubb had described and gotten her license plate number and picture. Let's say she went home without killing or injuring any adult or child. And let's say that law enforcement picked her afterwards and she faced the legal system and if guilty she faced the punishment for the crime she was convicted of. Should the officer be punished for not using deadly force at the store when she moved the car? If he is trained to respond as he did in that situation, fine. As usual, I just ask that everyone gets shot dead in those cases so I know that other factors did not influence the officer. If he does not, that seems like a clear violation of his training and is worthy of punishment.

I am not questioning whether the officer should have used deadly force or not. I am assuming that is one of the options in his crime fighting toolbox. I am questioning whether the officer should face punishment for using some other tool in that toolbox and why it seems so important that he use that particular tool in this case.

I had not thought about this until the guy talked about not judging things before we have all the facts. Do we know if she actually shoplifted anything? I know she was accused of shoplifting by a Kroger employee but I have not seen any reporting that she actually shoplifted anything. Did she have shoplifted goods in the vehicle? Is there video of her shoplifting something? What was she accused of shoplifting? Why are we so comfortable saying that she shoplifted without any evidence to that being the case? Does any of that matter?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote