View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 06:16 AM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

I know IAEA & other scientists say its safe to release the water into the ocean but it doesn't sit well with me.

Although the plant is shut down, they still need to run water for cooling. Another article said they had 1000 full tanks and need to do something about the water. The article talks about how they treated it etc. to make it pretty safe.

My question - if it's so safe, why not dump it in some land? No problem if it get to that area's water table right? Why spread your mess to rest of the world.

IAEA Finds Japan’s Plans to Release Treated Water into the Sea at Fukushima Consistent with International Safety Standards | IAEA
Quote:
“Based on its comprehensive assessment, the IAEA has concluded that the approach and activities to the discharge of ALPS treated water taken by Japan are consistent with relevant international safety standards,” IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said in a foreword of the report.

“Furthermore, the IAEA notes the controlled, gradual discharges of the treated water to the sea, as currently planned and assessed by TEPCO, would have a negligible radiological impact on people and the environment,” he added.
Quote:
The water stored at the FDNPS has been treated through an Advanced Liquid Processing System (ALPS) to remove almost all radioactivity, aside from tritium. Before discharging, Japan will dilute the water to bring the tritium to below regulatory standards.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote