View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 09:01 PM   #50
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I get this, but everybody knows this is about abortion, so the real contest here is does %50+1 of the highly gerrymandered legislature get to ban abortion or does %50 +1 of the voting public get to keep it legal.

Of course the Ohio GOP is already looking at ways to ignore a referendum call or successful vote.

word. i mean I'm not sure why anyone here is arguing about this issue as if it were in a vacuum but perhaps they're just not up to speed. This and other state issues like this are an extension of mitch mcconnell politics. To shut down the normal avenues of sense and rig things however they can to push through things. GOP actually banned new inituitives in august because of low voter turnout but then suddenly allow this one and this one was thrown together so fast JUST because the abortion rights initiative got enough signatures. also note on this ballot it would have prevented any grace period for getting signatures.

but yeah ohio has been supergerrymandered for awhile. but also been superfoxnewsed. they lost some big businesses like ncr and others. I think the GOP capitalized on that stuff and convinced the blue collar it was dems fault...and also doubled down with the religious right who have things like lightning touchdown jesus along 75.

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote