View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 08:02 AM   #31
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Not Supreme court but....wrecking ball indeed

Here in ohio republicans have decided to say "fuck you people, you don't get to a say in the state constitution".

Volunteers worked tirelessly to get enough signatures to put something on the ballot in november to amend the constitution to do something favorable for abortion availibility. I don't know all the details.

But BECAUSE OF THIS... old republicans and their petty bullshit have created a SPECIAL BALLOT IN AUGUST that if passed will cause this change: All amewndments must pass with 60% favor instead of just majority. So it would mean that the movember ballot thing for abortion will be toast because it apparently is possible with the current state senate makeup.

typical republican petty bullshit yes. I expect more of this shit everywhere really.

I'll be voting against the proposed amendment.

Not really because of the 60% rule, I think changing a constitution should have more than 50% of the population buying into the change. 50% is a whim and attitudes could change the very next day.

But I think they're changing the ballot collection requirement so that you have to get x number of signatures in every county in Ohio. So in theory one county could block any amendment. I think that swings the difficulty pendulum way too far in the other direction.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-19-2023 at 08:26 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote