View Single Post
Old 07-16-2023, 10:04 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yes, adding NPC's a year (?) later helped the immersion quite a bit. And they've been adding more and more NPCs.

How does your son like it? I wish my son played it, it would be great to do some co-op gaming with him. Hope you get the chance with your kid.

re: MMO-like comment. FO76 community is very friendly. There are some higher level asshats & bullies (typical of any community) ... but overall experience is collaboration and helping lower levels. There are some bosses where you need to be in a team working together (unless you have some legacy uber weapons). And there are some fantastic, absolutely fantastic camp builds.

Give it a chance!

(Haven't played it in a while but do have some nice weapons/armor sitting around, doing nothing that I can give you. Suggest you get to level 50+ first)

I've ended up playing it a LOT more than he did, almost ironically.

One of the problems at this point, I think, is the whole "season" structure of the outer shell (for lack of a better phrase). It quickly felt pointless to him to play, given how far into the cycle we even stepped foot into it. I played it a fair bit for a while as my "mindless grinder" game in lieu of a Fortnite season I never really got into. I've got so many hours in the FO universe that I can still pretty easily lapse into "side quest stage, side quest stage, side quest stage" grinding and just be zoned out.

As for the other players aspect of it, I rarely see people period. The only noticeable presence they have to me generally speaking is the occasional nuke warning that caused me to check my map quickly to make sure I wasn't gonna be collateral damage ... until realizing that basically nukes were in the same place 90-95 percent of the time (presumably tied to some event or another) and really shouldn't concern me unduly. Their camps are useful as a fast travel point now & then but otherwise that's about it. I suspect the fact that I tend to play between say midnight and 6a (eastern U.S. time) has something to do with the scarcity of other players.

The event oriented team stuff I largely ignore -- "surplus to needs" in terms of how I use/was using the game -- I think I've done maybe ... 3? of those with other players around and 2 of the 3 were accidental where I stumbled upon one or it stumbled upon me.

Still, if you'd have told me that I'd ever get to Lvl 46 (I had to load it up to see where I was, I thought it was in the 40s somewhere) I'd have figured you'd have lost your mind lol