View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 07:46 PM   #17
Drake
assmaster

As someone who works tangentially with college admissions, I have a strong feeling that this case won't be as impactful as people fear it will be. We have targets for minority admissions (define "minority" as nebulously as you want here) based on what the university perceives to be educationally valuable in terms of diversity.

We'll continue to hit those diversity targets. We'll just make the process for how we hit them more opaque it already is.

The basic truth is that we're already drowning in qualified applicants. When you get to the "inclusion" part of the barrel, it's really more about justifiying marginally qualified in-state kids so we can maintain the illusion that we're a state university. It would be so much more financially healthy for us if we ditched a bunch of those kids and admitted the hundreds (maybe thousands?) of over-qualified international kids who are going to be billed at 3x the standard rate instead. But we're committed to "diversity" starting with kids from our own state.

NB: I don't work for admissions, so nothing I say should be construed as the official policy of my university. I just talk to the data people who are rewriting their scripts to generate candidate lists.

Edit: When I say "drowning", what I mean is that our primary constraint is dorm rooms, since we require all first year students to live on campus. That's a hard cap on how many we can admit, with the exception of kids within a 25-mile radius of campus (who aren't required to live in the dorms.) Without that constraint, we could easily double our annual freshman class on qualified applicants alone.

Last edited by Drake : 07-02-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote