View Single Post
Old 06-15-2023, 04:20 PM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

Strategy

I'm in a discord with a streamer who is sharing a lot of guides and tips from challenger players in his circle and I spent a good bit of time yesterday figuring out how to apply some of it to my own gameplay.

I got some good info on the Zeri comp I was playing a lot on how to play it better, but the biggest thing is a line being referred to as "Kalista Flex" that I'm pretty much in love with. Kalista is a 3 cost challenger, she does great with one attack speed item (rageblade usually). Challengers are pretty solid overall, the "flex" part of the comp is that you can 3* Kalista and use her as your main carry, you can use Kaisa - a 4 cost challenger. You can use another 4 cost Challenger in Yasuo, or you can use one of two tangential units, Urgot or Gwyn, also 4 cost carries. You pick based on which units you're being given and which items you're being given. The tank line is flexible as well, there are lots of 4 and 5 cost tanks that are good and you just use the ones you hit, forcing a specific synergy doesn't seem too critical with the tanks.

So, given the adjustments I've made above:

Gameplay/Results

Zeri - 5th - I appear to be the master of almost making top 4 but not quite... 14 games, 5 5th place finishes. My first try playing an augmented Zeri comp, taking out the Freljord units and playing a stronger front line instead. But I didn't build a last whisper, which shreds the enemy's armor, and that cost me I think.

Kalisa Flex/Kaisa Carry - 1st - My first win of the set comes in game 12. The special properties of this portal/universe gave us two tactician crowns, an item that allows you to play an extra unit on your board. So at level 9 I had 11 units. So did all of my opponents. I ended up itemizing Kaisa and Yasuo a bit, and was able to use the new tech that I learned in the Strategy section to grab a win. This promoted me to Silver 2.

Kaisa Flex/Urgot Carry - 6th - I took a break after this one because I honestly got a little tilted at the result. I thought I played really well and thought I had a top 4 for sure. But I just lost my last 5 or 6 rounds in a row and went out 6th.

Kaisa Flex/Urgot 3* - 1st - I had a great opener, Viego 2 with a Challenger Emblem, 4 Challenger on 2-1, and I won my first 13 rounds before any losses. I levelled aggressively and applied a lot of pressure on the lobby. I went 7 on 3-5 (usually done on 4-1) and hit an Urgot 2 on a big rolldown. I rolled some more on 4-1 and hit Kaisa 2, both of these things much earlier than normal. I eventually hit an Urgot 3. 3*'ing a 4 cost unit is usually supposed to be a free win, and this case it absolutely was.

The second win in 3 games promotes me to Silver 1.

Current Rank: Silver I - 44 LP.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote