Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 11:03 PM   #165
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess it's only fair tit-for-tat. I'm sure we have electronics listening posts in Taiwan and we are ratcheting up military presence in Asia.

Cuba gives China permission to build spying facility on island, US intel says | CNN Politics
Quote:
Cuba has agreed to allow China to build a spying facility on the island that could allow the Chinese to eavesdrop on electronic communications across the southeastern US, two sources familiar with the intelligence told CNN.

The US learned about the plan in the last several weeks, the first source said, and it is unclear whether China has already begun building the surveillance facility.

Somewhat reassuring statement but I'd assume this is just the first step. There'll be more stuff that China will do (e.g. maybe build a naval base, military installation)

Quote:
“This report is not accurate,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said in a statement on Thursday afternoon. “We have had real concerns about China’s relationship with Cuba, and we have been concerned since day one of the Administration about China’s activities in our hemisphere and around the world. We are closely monitoring it and taking steps to counter it. We remain confident that we are able to meet all our security commitments at home and in the region.”
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote