Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 11:16 AM   #156
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I googled on "does FL bill 264 apply to US citizens". In the returned headlines, I got ...
"restrictions on persons or entities from certain foreign countries of concern"
"prohibit Chinese citizens from purchasing land in the state"
"restrict ownership of land and property by those from seven countries of concern"
"new state law prohibits Chinese citizens"
"ban select persons from foreign countries of concern from owning ..."
"does not allow any person who is from one of those seven countries"
"targets US adversarial countries"
I guess it's possible you are correct that the proposed bill is unclear in this specific topic and does really apply to US citizens/PR (whereas I believe it does not). That would mean the Bill's summary was wrong, and the media nor ACLU/Asian American Legal Defense teams have not picked up on this issue yet.

Per my earlier statement below ... as this point is central to my position and I've been unable to convince you otherwise, I'll avoid continuing this discussion until sometime in the future where (1) media does start reporting it applies to US citizens/PR, and/or (2) there is enough evidence to convince you it does not.

I believe July 1, 2023 is the target date it goes into effect. So hopefully, it'll be clear whose interpretation is correct. I'll make a note to revisit around then.

All of those headlines are why I went to see what the bill actually says. Based on the content of the bill, the headline that is the most accurate is the "ban select persons from foreign countries of concern from owning ...". Part of the governor's defense is that Chinese citizens are not barred from owing land or property. Foreign principals are banned from owing land or property. So if a Chinese citizen can prove that they are not:

1. a govt. official in China or any of the foreign countries of concern
2. a member of a political party in any of the foreign countries of concern with the exception of Venezuela where you just can't be a part of Maduro's regime. That is still a strange one to me.
3. In a partnership, association, corporation, organization, or other com-
bination of persons organized under the laws of or having its principal place
of business in a foreign country of concern.
4. living in any of the foreign countries of concern.
5. a person, entity, or collection of persons or entities, described in
paragraphs (a) through (d) having a controlling interest in a partnership,
association, corporation, organization, trust, or any other legal entity or
subsidiary formed for the purpose of owning real property in this state

they can buy property and land in Florida without breaking the law. Based on his Wiki, a guy like Brooklyn Nets owner Joseph Tsai who considers himself Chinese would fit the above criteria. This is why the basis of the lawsuits are that the claims of national security risks are false and that asking people who are Asian, Russian, Iranian, Cuban, Venezuelan,Syrian or anyone who is suspected of anyone who looking or sounding like a person of one of those groups faces an undue burden that someone who is not or does not look like they are a part of those groups. I can't imagine how many times a Japanese national will have to explain that they are not a member of CCP cause... well ya know..
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote