Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 06:23 AM   #153
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Canada is restricting Chinese nationals from buying property. So is Australia (non-nationals). The US (and much of the west) is pretty wide-open which IMO is stupid. In general, I do believe non-citizens/PR should be able to buy land/residence, but I'd want some restrictions and the other country providing similar opportunities (won't ever be exactly the same).

Canada is restricting foreigners from buying residential homes.

Canada is banning some foreigners from buying property after home prices surged | CNN Business

Quote:
A new Canadian law took effect January 1 that essentially bans foreign buyers from buying residential properties as investments for two years. The law was passed because of a spike in Canadian home prices since the start of the pandemic – and some politicians’ beliefs that foreign buyers were responsible by snapping up supply of homes as investments.

That does not mean that they don't suspect the Chinese are doing the majority of the purchasing.

Canada Bans Foreigners From Purchasing Most Real Estate

Quote:
Although there are no statistical breakdowns on where these foreign buyers come from, Ogmundson says immigration trends indicate they are from Asian countries. He says the blame usually goes toward China.

"If it kind of breaks down the way, like, immigration breaks down in B.C., it's probably mostly Asian. So, China, Taiwan, Korea, a lot of Indian immigrants, a lot of immigrants from the Philippines," he said. "That's probably the major share of foreign investment. But we don't have very good data on it. So, it's really hard to say. Certainly, most of the blame goes towards Chinese investors. "

The same is true in Australia. If the law in Florida banned all foreigners from buying property, that would be more in line with what Canada and Australia. Both countries have also been clear that the restrictions have been put in place to provide affordable homes for its citizens. Whether I agree or not is a different debate. The new law in Florida is not that. The law here is according to the Governor and his supporters one based on national security and to guard against a threat of the Chinese government in general and the CCP in particular. If Canada banned Americans in general and Republicans specifically from purchasing property there, I would ask the same questions about that policy that I am asking about this one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote