Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 10:29 PM   #151
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Canada is restricting Chinese nationals from buying property. So is Australia (non-nationals). The US (and much of the west) is pretty wide-open which IMO is stupid. In general, I do believe non-citizens/PR should be able to buy land/residence, but I'd want some restrictions and the other country providing similar opportunities (won't ever be exactly the same).
Quote:
Canada is banning some foreigners from buying property after home prices surged. Canada in 2023 is closing its doors to foreign investors who want to purchase homes. A new Canadian law took effect January 1 that essentially bans foreign buyers from buying residential properties as investments for two years.
Quote:
Non-Australian residents are prohibited from buying existing houses, and the Foreign Investment Review Board says foreign investment should be restricted to new properties that “create additional jobs” and “increase Australia’s housing stock”.
Quote:
But yeah, where DeSantis is concerned I do wonder about motives.
Pretty clear to me he believes it motivates his base. I am not convinced he is xenophoic, prejudice against Asians people as a whole, but do believe he is prejudice against Chinese nationals.

Quote:
(Also yes to other countries doing this -- my dad is not actually allowed to own "his" house in Thailand, for instance.)
I've actually looked at buying land/residences in SEA. The US is wide-open compared to SEA countries.

Thailand is great BTW. Cost of living is so nice. Not as westernized as Singapore or HK, but probably the best SEA country for the $ if you want a lot of western conveniences. Philippines is just a notch below, and I've read that Vietnam is up and coming.

In researching China, their real estate websites say that non-nationals can "buy" property. But that is BS. There may be some exceptions but "buy" is essentially a long term lease.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-23-2023 at 10:39 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote