Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 03:31 PM   #142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I agree with this. It shouldn't just be FL but (hopefully coming soon) all of US.

And it shouldn't just be China or the list below, we should mirror the other countries' policies for residential property (e.g. not being able to own land vs condo, similar approval processes & restrictions etc.). Ultimately, negotiate to an acceptable set of policies for both countries because it's too way one-sided right now.

Yeah, real estate prices in hot areas are going to get hit, but eventually there'll be an equilibrium.

Chinese citizens sue Florida over law barring them from owning houses - POLITICO

I doubt it'll stoke racial biases significantly more than what was already there against Chinese Americans. But against Chinese non-Americans, sure. Same situation as in Americans in China.

Below says the proposal is not US citizens but prob should say "or Permanent Residents".

First off, to be clear, the bottom part does not include lawful permanent resident as well as U.S. citizens. That is a positive.

I will ask these two questions as delicately as I possibly can given how we have done this sort of thing historically.

Who is responsible and what methods will they be using to verify that those Asian looking people are or are not under the influence of the Chinese Communist party?

What is the penalty for the entity I assume is not under the influence of the Chinese Communist party who owns the property when they decide that all American dollars spend so they knowingly, unknowingly, but let's be serious knowingly sell to someone under the influence of the Chinese Communist party because they have the highest bid?

Hang on, I got one more. Is the selling entity required to return the funds back to a buyer who is determined to be under the influence of the Chinese Communist party after the fact or does the buyer just happen to lose those funds which will allow the seller to keep the funds and sell the property to someone else?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote