Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2023, 07:58 AM   #134
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I have many stories of censorship and dissidents being detained. I'm agraid this going to end up being another "polls looks close, but some how he won 70% of the vote" elections.

Considering our 2016 surprise, I guess anything is possible.

Really looking forward to better relations with a NATO member (seems weird to say this).

Turkey's election: Erdogan built vast power for 20 years, but he may lose Sunday : NPR
Quote:
Kilicdaroglu's campaign indicates he would try to smooth things over. If he wins, he says he would bring Turkey closer to the West politically, economically and culturally, and restart attempts to join the European Union that lost steam under Erdogan years ago. And he'd be expected to reassure world leaders concerned that Turkey is sliding from democracy to authoritarianism.
But I get there are some geopolitical realities.

Quote:
But Turkey's geographic place in the world probably requires it to maintain ties open to Iran, Russia and Syria. And both Erdogan and Kilicdaroglu may increase pressure on Syrian refugees to leave. Anti-immigrant sentiment has grown as the economy has worsened — even though the Syrians have boosted local economies.

FWIW, it does seem Turkiye's inflation rate is doing a lot better, from a high of 85% in Oct 2022 to current 44%

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote