View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 03:03 PM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I knew Tesla was #1 in the US, it didn't quite register how much ahead it was

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/04/gm-o...ils-tesla.html

I was wondering globally also and Tesla is #1 in BEV (fully electric) by far but comes in #2 behind a Chinese company that is BEV + PHEV (plug-in hybrid).

EV-Volumes - The Electric Vehicle World Sales Database

So the existential battle for Tesla is whether BEV or PHEV will win out in the next 5-10 years.

I am pretty sure it's going to be BEV.

I understand the allure of PHEV (hybrid) vehicles, because it helps alleviate range anxiety and gives the consumer the security blanket/training wheels of a ICE engine that can kick in and give you more range, re-charge the battery some, and you know you can always fill it up just like you're used to doing.

The problem with hybrids is that they are expensive and complex to design and build. You're essentially creating two separate powertrains and all of the engineering, design and parts costs that come with it. The two powertrains, also, make the vehicle heavier, which reduces the range of the battery.

As a result, most OEMs have abandoned the hybrids (or will be) and are only going to be making pure BEVs.

Tesla has a huge lead and lots of advantages over traditional OEMs when it comes to BEVs. In addition to the brand recognition and consumer acceptance, they don't carry all of the legacy costs that the traditional OEMs carry. Tesla has only ever built electric vehicles and has designed its company - from its white collar employees down to its factory employees - to do that and that alone. They don't need to shift over from one style of vehicle (ICE) to a completely new one (EVs). They, also, don't have legacy dealerships to contend with. As a result, they have the combined advantages of: 1) being the first big mover; 2) strong brand recognition; 3) significantly lower costs.

As a result, despite the fact that there will be significant new entry and competition in the EV space in the next few years, Tesla still has a pretty strong advantage, particularly with respect to costs and price. They can reduce price to fight off new entrants and still maintain decent margins that their competitors won't be able to match.

It will be really interesting to see how it all plays out. Hopefully, poorly for Tesla!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote