View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 12:30 PM   #203
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola: Though if you listen to the Robert Mays podcast, he is a strong believer in thinking in terms of how much certain positions cost when they hit FA and how to think of the rookie contract in those terms.

If you get, say, a CB at 18, then he does not really have to be that good for the rookie salary to make him a value add considering how much starting corners get paid. But if you are picking a RB or TE there, then they have to be a top player to justify even the rookie salary (he was talking more top 10 than 18, but the overall idea seems to still make sense).

Basically, in the NFL, an average DE is worth more than a good TE, and you should draft with that in mind.

I don't know if I totally agree, but it is food for thought.

I do listen to it! I heard him talking about that last week when they were going over the lessons learned from the 2018 draft. He used the difference between drafting a RB high in the first round and what you'd need him to be in order to be a "value" cap-wise (essentially one of the best RBs in the league) and how good you would need a DE to be for him to be a "value" (just serviceable).

It's definitely another interesting data point to consider.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote