View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 11:06 PM   #23
Izulde
Head Coach

@ Hawaii 9-11 (1-8)
Yep, the Rainbow Warriors only have one conference win... against us. I don't know how a team that good on paper is doing that poorly, but they are. I don't have a good feeling about this one, naturally. Seems like every year, there's a team record-wise we play down to.

Sure enough, we're down by a bucket at the half, 36-38. And they get some serious home cooking to beat us 77-74, wasting 19, 17, and 12 from Joseph Velarde, Angel Moore, and Florentin Dupretz respectively. Moore and Velarde also had a steal. Rabbithead had 15, 8, and 4 steals. That, too, was wasted.

@ CSU-Fullerton 7-14 (6-5)
Titans are having a pretty good conference season. Let's see if we can derail them. 21, 6, and 4 assists for Rabbithead, 14 and 6 for Angel Moore, but they're hot all night, and we're crushed 59-73.

@ UC-Irvine 7-15 (4-8)
At this point, we're just hoping to stave off last place by season's end. What a disaster of year this once promising season has turned out to be.

We go up 8-0 and promptly piss it away, managing to find enough to go up 35-31 at the break. I am not holding out hope that we'll walk out with a victory, though. Sure enough, our offense goes to hell and we lose 57-71. Rabbithead is out 9 days, too, though he should come back in time to be able to play our next game.

vs UC-Riverside 15-9 (9-4)
The Highlanders are having the solid season I expected from them and we're so cold right now I don't know that we can beat anyone. We're only down by 1 at the half, thanks to UCR shooting 25% from the line while we're at 83% and Rabbithead shrugs off the injury for 10 points in the first 20.

Second half is a brickfest. 30 seconds left. They take the shot, and the Fish Knight grabs the defensive board, game tied. Our hero takes it himself, going all the way coast-to-coast for the buzzer-beating layup to steal the 2 point victory!!!! That's his only score of the game, too. 12 points and a block for Winston Reyes, and don't get excited about Angel Moore's 10 points, 11 rebounds, and a steal, because he bricked everything. Rabbithead was shut down in the second half - 12 points, 8 boards, and 2 steals, though. Highlanders have to feel pissed about this one - they absolutely deserved the win.

vs Cal Poly 15-10 (9-5)
The Mustangs thank us for beating the Highlanders for them and see an opportunity here. They take full advantage, steamrolling us for 80 points. Angel Moore's 15 and a steal and Raphael Taylor's 12 bench points are laughable in the face of that.

@ UC-Santa Barbara 12-13 (7-7)
The Gauchos just can't get off the mid tier due to their bad coach hire. But we're the cure for almost everybody, promptly losing by 30 points in a game so bad, I'm not even going to mention key stats.

@ Pacific 8-18 (3-12)
Even if we lose to the Tigers, we won't drop to last place, but I really want to get this win to guarantee that we won't end up in the basement at season's conclusion. We damn near blow a 13-point halftime lead, but scrape by 56-47 in a much closer contest than the scoreline appears. Once again, we have no Player of the Game despite the win and finish the entire month of February without a PotG nod.

But we've avoided last place, and not even Gayle Horton going to Washington can spoil the relieved mood that we've once again fulfilled our AD's expectations in our horrible facilities (Rating: 0/100, last in the Big West)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote