View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #147
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Is Bijan Robinson a generational talent that's worth expending a middle 1st on? Like isn't the CW now that you just don't spend high on an RB? Especially for a team that has other needs.

SI

Here's how I look at it: 20 years ago, he'd probably be the first non-QB off the board. And we have rightly corrected for that. Most teams understand that Edge, CB, OT, WR provide you with much more value high in the draft.

So the question becomes how much do we correct for that? Some might say that you can always find a better player/position than a top RB in the first round. And that you should just never draft one before the mid-second or something like that. They might even have the charts and graphs to prove it.

Personally, I think that RBs tend to have value early in their career. And if you can get a guy who ends up being a cost-controlled option for four years (or 5 with the 5th year option) and a top-5 RB, that's worth it with a mid-first round pick.

The key is to be cold and calculating about it. When he's a fan favorite and he's been producing for you for four years, and he comes asking about his contract extension, that's when you need to let him hit free agency and have Jerry Jones overpay for him.

And I get that it still seems a little strange to draft a guy knowing that he's not in your long term plans. You'll still hear people at the draft say "And they just got their left tackle for the next 12 years." But for non-QBs, that's not how it works. NFL rosters change constantly. So if this guy will be great for a short amount of time, I'm fine with that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote