View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 02:51 PM   #69
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I can't quite get a handle on why these things change so much after players declare for the draft or finish their senior seasons.

Perhaps it's that they're free to talk to agents and agents can contact evaluators. What's becoming clear is that quarterbacks drafted after the first round are less likely to eventually become starters than ten years ago.

Bad news for the 2022 crop and teams that look forced to go with younger quarterbacks who didn't go in the first round.

Life is getting more and more complex for quarterbacks and I can't state enough that it's a copycat league. When I see someone as unaccomplished as Daniel Jones cheered in the media as "breaking out" for a decent, but fairly average season, I worry that perhaps copycat has become a parody of itself. Now Jones wants more than $45 million, allegedly. Could be a "screw you, Giants, we'll make you pay for declining the option" and there's no market above $25 million. But I suspect there's something there since so many teams need quarterbacks.

It's enough that I think the Lions, who have a guy with plus talent whose problem seemed to be maturity. He's now 28, has Super Bowl experience and did extremely well last season... they shouldn't even think new quarterback while this works itself out.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote