View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #52
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I can give insight into two former (or soon to be former) Saints

Marcus Davenport has all of the physical tools you want and then some. Apparently, when he is motivated, he's the most impactful player on the team, and it isn't even close.

But, reading between the lines, he simply does not love football. Motivation is a consistent problem. And he's always got some sort of nagging injury (the coming back from which is also related to lack of love of the game, I'd suspect).

I see him as signing a decent FA contract this season, underperforming, getting cut, retiring from football. And then living out his days happily as a high school English teacher or something like that.

All of which is to say I wouldn't touch him. I don't think that even the knee-biter can keep him motivated.

Chauncy Gardner-Johnson can play safety or slot corner. The Saints let him go b/c he wanted top corner money, and the Saints wanted to pay him safety money. So they got what they could for him in a trade.

Now, the market will decide what he is worth. And if the money is right, I think he could be a great fit for the Lions as just an all-purpose defensive back and not worry too much about whether he is a safety or a corner. He can blitz. He's not afraid to get up and do run support. And he can jam with the best of them. His attitude fits this team, and he's got a lot of talent.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote