View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 03:05 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

What do we imagine the WR room to look like as we break camp?

WR1 Amon-Ra St. Brown is the build-around guy for the whole offense, sold.

WR2 Jameson Williams is the "ceiling" guy who's still seemingly close to rookie status, unknown but you'd hope that he develops into at least a serious downfield threat this season, maybe/hopefully more.

WR4 is Kalif Raymond, your sparkplug super speed tiny size guy with limitations but he's effective at the things he can do. Not a candidate for 40 snaps a game, I think, but he can give you 20 good snaps.

...and WR3 Josh Reynolds is solid at multiple things, not spectacular at any among them, but comfortable with Goff and seems like a good fit. I list him below Raymond here as I think his hold for a roster slot seems less secure, but if he stays his usage should be more central.

Last year a one year deal with DJ Chark suggested he could be the downfield threat on a use-every-so-often basis, but this offense or Goff doesn't seem to have the nerve to really Minshew the ball his way as much as I might like. I can't see him getting $10m again, and I guess I can't see him coming back... but we can sort out whether we feel he's a target to retain.

WR5/6 Quintez Cephus is, I suppose, what you get from a technically sound player who just doesn't have NFL grade physical tools. He runs patterns and does the job, but he lacks speed/quickness to separate, so it feels like everything is a contested catch for this guy. Low ceiling, as much as I like him.

If the default play here is to keep everyone listed above including Reynolds, not re-sign Chark, pray that Williams is ready to step up as the downfield guy... then I'd say you're basically one legit body short of an honest NFL WR corps. Not necessarily a big dollar guy, but maybe someone to complement Reynolds in that floater role, big enough to play outside while Amon-Ra stays in the slot.

What do we think Devante Parker is going to want in a new deal? He's the sort of guy I have in mind here, maybe. Is he now a $6m guy?

What about Mack Hollins (can play special teams, can run a respectable go-get-it deep route, can sport a sweet 'fro) for presumably a fraction of that?

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-23-2023 at 03:06 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote