View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 06:16 AM   #754
TheseBoots
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Thanks! Glad your enjoying it.

Sure. Late in pre-season, I will usually extend contracts to the marginal starters, premier backups that are out of contract in the next season. When tight on cap, it's better to give them what they want, but when I have a lot of additional cap space (I had quite a bit this season), I will rework the requested contract with basically the same salary in every season, which often means some of the money that was requested for the next season has been moved forward to the current season. I was going to pay up either way (extending now or signing said player in the next off-season), by paying up now, it means I pay more up front and have it count to the current year, not spread out over all years like with a signing bonus.

Yeah, I get you. It's a subtle move but useful as this money otherwise just does nothing (except improve bottom line, I guess).

Can you save big money like this or - seeing as you mentioned marginal starters and premier backups - or is this the kind of move which is overall shifting a few millions at most between seasons?

Last edited by TheseBoots : 02-02-2023 at 06:17 AM.
TheseBoots is offline   Reply With Quote