View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I almost want to separate it into two things: arena and arena experience. Arena is more the physical aspects that, once built, are pretty hard to control. Location, size, sight lines, bathrooms, etc. Experience is all the other stuff: lighting, sound, concession quality, pricing, etc.

I haven't been to a whole tonne of arenas but on the physical aspect I do like how intimate the Winnipeg Jets arena is at only 15k. The sight lines are all good, and the location is as good as it gets in Winnipeg (which sadly still isn't great - this would be a let down compared to most other rinks).

I also really liked Montreal's arena when I went there... holy crap almost 25 years ago. It felt smaller than it was due to the design and was easy to get to iirc.

MSG in New York was cool for lots of reasons but I wouldn't call it a good arena aside from the location. Sight lines seemed poor in a lot of places and it just looked and felt as out-dated as it is. That said I hope they never change it because it's 'good enough' and the history is cool.

Saddledome in Calgary was lame. Only worse one I've been to was the original Jets 1.0 arena which was a complete dump.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote