View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #158
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Heheh,

I agree with you SI. Older players do have their place. However, you can't build your team on them. You use them to fill holes.

The average age of Mounties starters is 28.7 years old. This includes 7 starters who are 30 years old or higher and one who is 29.

On the contrary, my team has 4 players who are starting that are 30 years old or older. My team averages 25.1 years old for the starters.

Granted this isn't a good comparison because I train strikers and he trains keepers. You take trainees out and you get Mouties at 29.7 average age and Gargs at 27.6 average age.

I think that Mounties will have short term success with their players, but it will be nearly impossible to continue to improve the team.

My goal is to usually turn over 3-4 players a year to continue improving 1/4 to 1/3 of my team each season. However, with older players, you are investing in depreciating assets, so you never get back what you paid to fill those holes. They are necessary, but should not be used abundantly. At some point your team will implode.