View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 11:38 PM   #161
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
For it to be a reasonable discussion, is it your contention that I should describe claims as reasonable when I don't think they actually are? When someone makes a statement talking about things like 'eliminating fossil fuels', my reaction to that is it's a self-evident, blatant strawman.

But that is what many people want, and your "full stop" implies that you're going in that direction. Fine, we seem to agree on nuclear and we seem to disagree on the unreliables like wind and solar.

Italy, for one, is waking up. Like Germany, they were even backing away from nuclear. They recently changed their minds. The UK and Germany are so far down this rabbit hole that it will take an extensive reliability crisis to wake them up.

Quote:
That's factually not what is happening.

It is. Not that I expect that statement to change anyone's mind or yours to change mine.

But I'd be interested in why you think fossil fuels aren't a big part of the reason life expectancy around the world has more than doubled in the last 150 years, as well as dramatic increases in our ability to feed the population boom.

I will renew one of my resolutions this year. I resolve to keep learning, even when it's uncomfortable. So I hope I'm wrong in this case, and suddenly the costs aren't so bad and we aren't headed into a period of energy instability.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote