View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 04:13 PM   #157
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Yet still off the rails and terrible and such. Condescension is an interesting approach. I feel we waste more time deciding whether discussion is possible than actually discussing anything.

I don't think it was condescending. I gave you credit for the points you made that I think are valid, and explained why they don't change the broader picture. For it to be a reasonable discussion, is it your contention that I should describe claims as reasonable when I don't think they actually are? When someone makes a statement talking about things like 'eliminating fossil fuels', my reaction to that is it's a self-evident, blatant strawman. So if I'm going to be involved in an honest discussion, I can't just say 'well that's one way of looking at things' because that's just burying the issue - at some point the fact that this isn't remotely the case has to be dealt with.

Quote:
I would urge you to search for the NERC and learn about its mission and how that was recently changed to avoid too much recrimination when the US grid becomes more strained.

I don't see the relevance of this. The entire US grid could be a complete basketcase and it wouldn't be relevant. We don't have enough EVs on the road to make a significant difference and we need a stable energy supply long-term whether we have EVs or not, and we have enough resources to make that happen in a wide variety of ways if we choose to do so. They are two separate issues that should be solved in tandem, but our energy grid being unstable now isn't an argument against EVs.

Quote:
when the same set of products costs ten times more in their new form...

That's the thing though; they don't cost ten times more.

Quote:
It's about replacing something that has demonstrably increased quality of life around the world in an unprecedented manner with something far more expensive, far less reliable and far less available to those in poverty.

That's factually not what is happening.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-31-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote