View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 02:34 AM   #123
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

No, it's not easy to start a business.

It may even be harder for the hockey kid, since he has learned that hard work is something only other people do to build something.

Society seems obsessed with what other people have. This goes far deeper than money. The whole Puritan world view was all about worrying that people were having fun in ways you weren't having fun.

This is no different.

Parents want their kids to have better lives. We can argue that the hockey kid might have a better life because he'll have a lot of money regardless of whether he works. But he might not. Parenting is tough. Money is one important piece, but there are many others that kid might be behind on, because his parents might have their own weaknesses.

At least there are only so many hockey arenas that need names.

So, one example. I found that I'm a pretty decent math/science teacher when I only have one pupil and he happens to be my son. So I taught him a lot. Maybe a bad idea because he complained throughout school that he didn't learn anything in those classes. If my son goes on and has success in the world of technology, did he earn that? Was it wrong of me to try and pass along my expertise?

What about, on a different scale, a parent in a poorer area that knows a lot about nutrition and tries to provide good meals, never gets fast food? Is that an unfair advantage, given that many parents don't know a lot about nutrition. Their kids go to school, maybe don't learn as well because of a lack of balanced meals.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote