View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 02:11 AM   #197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

(reposting from my social media, seems like it belongs here, but I'm too sleepy to customize the content)

I was far from the only person that thought the Brantley Gilbert / Five Finger Death Punch co-headlining tour was an unusual one. But being (he says humbly) better versed than most in both the worlds those acts inhabit, I was curious to see how it would work.

Based on Sunday night in Greenville,SC I'd say "fairly well to pretty well". I'm sure everyone would have liked more butts in seats but what the crowd lacked in size it made up for in enthusiasm.

I was very happy to see opening act Cory Marks get a warm reaction and really hear nary a negative word said about.

Based on audience responses to various cues during the night and simply watching the crowd and their engagement levels, it seemed more people were there to see 5FDP but also more people were familiar with and had previously seen BG. Older crowd than I've seen 5FDP with in the past, closely split between male & female though. And everybody there to enjoy themselves, however they saw fit.

I do feel like it'd be pretty market by market (and Lord, do they love 'em some BG in Greenville. I'd say 75% of the crowd knew at least 90% of the lyrics) but as a vibe, it actually worked IMO.

I suspect that we might see future pairings of similar different genre/same crowd acts but, as the offspring & I discussed on the ride home, not sure how many possible pairings would actually work ... and I'm doubtful at best about how many would work as well as this grouping did.

On a more personal sidebar, I will note one of the downsides to the "co-headliner" arrangement: these were the second most expensive concert tickets of my life.

As life would have it, Greenville was pretty much THE most expensive ticket of the Southern/Southeast leg of the tour but was also the one that best fit our own schedule.

Based on ticket availability over the past week or so, this might also be the first rock show of my life where I think "speculators" might have bought more tickets than they could scalp. The number of empty seats vs the number of tickets available at face value simply didn't add up.