Old 10-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Wake Me Up - Avicii

Record: True, 2013

Lyrics: Avicii – Wake Me Up Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcrbM1l_BoI
Cover: Tebey (feat. Emerson Drive) Wake Me Up - Official Lyric Video - YouTube
Ava Max also did a cover which I thought was pretty well produced but her glitz/outfits distracted from the spirit of the song IMO. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNljuISlB6w
Awards:

On the US Billboard Hot 100, the song peaked at number 4.

It peaked in the top 10 in more than 15 countries and topped international charts;[3][4][5][6] the lead single, "Wake Me Up", topped most music markets in Europe and reached number four in the United States.

Having been viewed over 2 billion times, the music video for “Wake Me Up” is one of the most viewed videos on YouTube.

The song made history in the United States by becoming the first electronic/dance song to ever sell over 4 million units in that country.

Lyrics & Meaning:

Lyrics are pretty clear cut (thank God) and you don’t need to wonder WTF did that line mean.

Quote:
… while on a tour in Europe, he suddenly came to the realization that the life he was living was too good for him to believe.
Quote:
According to Blacc, while on the road, he kept thinking to himself that the incredible heights he had reached in life was “such a dream” and that someone should wake him up “when it’s all over”. He said the sudden realization of his unbelievably good life gave birth to the lyrics of “Wake Me Up”.

Misc Notes:

Bummer.

Quote:
Bergling retired from touring in 2016, after several years of stress and poor mental health.[11] On 20 April 2018, he committed suicide while on holiday in Muscat, Oman. In 2019, his third and final album, Tim, was released posthumously.[12]
Quote:
Bergling explained, "You have to give something back. I am so fortunate to be in the position where I can actually do that. I feel lucky every day when I wake up and am able to do what I love and make a living." In addition to donating $1 million to Feeding America, a charity founded by John van Hengel, House for Hunger has helped fund the efforts of The Feed Foundation, started by Laura Bush,[162] allowing it to distribute over 2 million school meals throughout Africa.[163] He also supported campaigns against human trafficking and gang violence when he directed the videos for his tracks "For a Better Day" and "Pure Grinding".

Seems like an overall good guy and wanted to do good for society. Very sad he had to fight his internal demons. I wonder how many successful artists/bands donate their $ and time to help out?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote