View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #336
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
These aren't really options, though. They're pay-to-play with a greater time and resource commitment that ends approximately the same as going the pro route. He'll rack up a marriage, a kid or two with that valuable American citizenship, and a divorce after which she heads back to the homeland.

It's a movie I've seen play out multiple times

They are definitely are options.

They may also be "pay-to-play" but I don't really know your definition. I assume you mean that Nobody has to pay significant amount of $ throughout the courtship? If this correct, regular dating in the US is "pay-to-play".

Your last sentence assumes the vast majority of these marriages are a "sham", that all she'll want is the green card and then say "see ya" in 2-5 (?) years. There is no doubt US green card (or any western country) is a compelling differentiator but I'd dispute the vast majority (or even majority) is a sham.

I looked and was not able to find any stats (e.g. how many US-Foreign marriages result in divorce after X years would probably give a high-water indicator). If you have those stats, share them. I will say that I've known 2 Filipino born nurses married to US citizens, immigrated and they are still happily married.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-18-2022 at 05:25 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote